Kingdom of Volcanoes and Glaciers
Tour Code: ILR33
Pickup from hotel or guesthouse in Reykjavik from 08:30 in the morning
Minimum 6, maximum 16 (for smaller groups please contact us)
Walking per day
Discover the Most Beautiful Landscape of South and South-East Iceland.
This is an outstanding trip to one of Iceland’s most attractive areas, including the famous Geysir and Gullfoss waterfall, the Skaftafell part of Vatnajökull National Park, the Jökulsárlón glacier lagoon and the famous Laki volcano. On this tour you will be hiking through stunning volcanic sceneries with breathtaking panoramic views over glaciers and spectacular mountain peaks. Whether it is the glacier lagoon and its amazing icebergs, the incredible volcanic landscapes of the Laki area or Skaftafell that impresses you the most, you can be certain to have an outstanding adventure. And maybe, if weather conditions permit we might enjoy the dramatic and phenomenal midnight sun decorating Vatnajökull icecap. The evenings and nights will be spent at a nice and comfortable countryside hotel in the close vicinity of the small town of Kirkjubæjarklaustur in the southeast. Transport in comfortable 4 wheel drive vehicles.
Minimum age: 14 years
Guide for 5 days
vehicle transportation for 5 days
breakfast and dinner for 4 days (lunch not included but can be added)
accommodation in a comfortable country hotel in double/twin rooms (single supplement is 42.500 ISK per person).
Lunch - can be added for 12.500 ISK
optional 2 - 3 hour walk on the Svínafellsjökull glacier (all glacier and safety gear provided) - special rate: 9.520 ISK pr. person.
|04.06 - 07.06 2018||Available||English||Select|
|18.06 - 21.06 2018||Two needed to confirm||English||Select|
|02.07 - 05.07 2018||Confirmed Departure||English||Select|
|06.08 - 09.08 2018||Two needed to confirm||English||Select|
|20.08 - 23.08 2018||Available||English||Select|
|03.09 - 06.09 2018||Available||English||Select|
|17.09 - 20.09 2018||Available||English||Select|
Select the number of passengers and departure date.
Total price for all passengers:
Day 1: Reykjavik - Þingvelli - Gullfoss – Geysir - Country Hotel Geirland
First on our program for the day is a visit to the UNESCO World Heritage Site Þingvellir national park. From there we head to the Great Geysir geothermal area. There we will take a look at the areas namesake and its neighbor, Strokkur a feisty geyser which spouts every 5-10 minutes. Close by we find Gullfoss, one of Iceland’s most beautiful waterfalls; in two giant steps the water falls 32 meters into a deep gorge. We continue east through one of the largest agriculture areas. Passing by two very impressive glaciers, a huge sand desert and one of Iceland’s biggest lava fields we reach our hotel where we stay for the next 4 nights.
Driving: 6 hrs total Walking: 2-3 hrs total
Day 2: Vatnajökull National Park-Skaftafell
Vatnajökull National Park is Europe’s biggest National Park.The southeast part of this park is the area of Skaftafell which is composed of natural forest growing between glacial tongues, reaching down almost to sea level - a unique place to visit. We walk through a birch forest up to the Svartifoss waterfall, which is famous for its black basalt columns. On the way we will get fantastic views of Europe’s largest glacier Vatnajökull and Hvannadalshnúkur (2110m), its highest peak. In the afternoon a 2-3 hour inspiring walk on the glacier is optional. You will be provided with all the necessary gear (crampons and ice axes) to discover the amazing blue world of ice and explore its ridges and crevasses ! Return to the hotel.
Driving: 2 hrs total Walking: 4-5 hrs total
Day 3: Volcano Laki
Today we head for the craters of Laki. In 1783 a 25 km long fissure opened and lava flew out of 130 craters of Laki, devastating huge pasture fields. Clouds of poisonous gases killed over 50% of the livestock on Iceland. This led to a great famine which soon killed about 20% of the population. This was the second greatest eruption in Iceland since the original settlement and naturally had a deep impact on the Icelandic population. However, today these craters are mostly covered with green moss which makes a huge contrast to the black and red color of the underlying lava. In good weather we will climb to the top of the the Laki mountain. From there we have a splendid view over all the craters and the ice cap of Vatnajökull. On our way to Laki we will see Fagrifoss which is a magnificent waterfall in Geirlandsá river and certainly lives up to its name, the beautiful waterfall. Return to the same hotel.
Driving: 4-5 hrs total Walking: 3-4 hrs total
Day 4: Jökulsárlón
Today we head east along the Öræfajökull glacier which covers one of the country’s greatest volcanoes and its highest summit. We then cross great flatlands in front of the huge Breiðamerkurjökull glacier before arriving to Jökulsárlón lagoon with its picturesque floating icebergs. This place has provided the backdrop for many Hollywood films - for example the James Bond movie “Die another Day”. We discover a great variety of icebergs of different forms and shapes and the wide range of blue and white colours in the ice. In the afternoon on our way back, we will take a walk at the foot of the Öræfajökull glacier, with fantastic views over the vast sand plains of the river Skeiðará. In 1996 the great glacier outflow from under the Vatnajökull icecap destroyed the longest bridge in Iceland. A huge mass of ice (3000 billion liters) melted and the water reached a flow rate of 55,000 cubic meters per second and covered these huge plains with water. Return to the same hotel.
Driving: 3-4 hrs total Walking: 4-5 hrs total
Day 5: Vík – Hot springs of Ölkelduháls – Reykjavik
On our return to Reykjavik we pass by the village of Vík (Vík í Mýrdal) where we can enjoy a walk on the black beach. The pinnacles of Reynisdrangar are to be seen just offshore. According to legend, the pinnacles were left standing there after two trolls tried to pull a three master ship past the headland, but were caught and petrified by the first rays of sunshine. North of the village Hveragerði, famous for its greenhouses, we enjoy our last walk over to the geothermal area of Reykjadalur where we can enjoy a relaxing bath in a warm stream before returning to the hectic life of Iceland’s capital.
Driving: 4 hrs total Walking: 3-4 hrs total
For your own wellbeing and safety we strongly suggest following the advice of our equipment list, this includes having good quality rain-gear, tops and bottoms! Also respect that cotton clothing is not appropriate for any strenuous outdoor activity – this includes jeans and t-shirts. Modern outdoor clothing is by far more comfortable and will greatly improve your experience.
Boots and Clothing:
- Hiking boots – light hiking boots with waterproofing and ankle support are preferred.
- Long and short sleeve thermal underwear – Wool or synthetic.
- Rain Jacket with a good hood– Preferably waterproof and breathable material.
- Hiking pants.
- Rain trousers – Waterproof and breathable material.
- Gloves – Wool or synthetic.
- Socks – two to three pairs of hiking socks - Wool or synthetic.
- Warm hat – Wool or synthetic.
- Backpack for clothes and items used during the day. Size: 20-30 litres.
- Duffel bag for your overnight gear, preferably not a suit-case.
- Towel – light weight and packable.
- Sunglasses and sun protection.
- Water bottle.
- Casual clothes / change of clothes.
- Prescription medication and other personal health items.
- Toiletries; Toothbrush, toothpaste, soap etc.
- Swim suit (depends on tour).
- Walking pole(s).
- Pen knife.
- Sun/rain Hat or a Cap.
- Camera, spare batteries and a memory card or films.
- Puffy jacket to throw on during stops (e.g. Primaloft or down)
- Slippers for indoor use.
- Aperitif or other heart-warming spirits (huts).
Should you have any questions regarding this equipment list or the equipment on our tours feel free to contact email@example.com.
What is included and what is not included in the price?
- Included: Guide for 5 days, vehicle transportation for 5 days, breakfast and dinner for 5 days, accommodation in a comfortable country hotel in double/twin rooms. Single room during the tour (supplement) is 32.800 ISK per person
- Not included: Lunch – can be added, optional 2-3 hour glacier walk on the Svínafellsjökull glacier can be added as well. Both can be booked and paid for on the tour.
What are my options if I do not book the lunch package through you?
- You can buy food for the tour before it starts or buy food at small shops/gas stations that are along the way on the tour.
What is included in the lunch package?
- On day 1 of the tour, we stop at Café Gullfoss and have an authentic Icelandic meat soup.
- The usual lunch from the hotel includes a sandwich, yoghurt/Icelandic Skyr, piece of cake or biscuits, tea/coffee and a piece of fruit.
Is pick-up and drop off included? What time is the pick up?
- Yes, pick-up and drop off is included. Passengers are picked up between 8:30 and 9:00 am
- from their accommodation in Reykjavík.
Do I need a sleeping bag for this tour?
- No, a sleeping bag is not required for this trip since hotel accommodation is included.
Is this a Super Jeep tour?
- No, this is not a Super Jeep tour. A 4x4 vehicle is needed but it will not be a Super Jeep.
I am a single traveler. Will I have to share a room if I don‘t book the single supplement?
- If you do not book the single supplement, you will have to share a room with another single traveler of the same sex. If there is no other single traveler on the tour, you will stay in a single room for no extra charge.
Is there free WIFI at the hotel?
- Yes, free WIFI is included at the hotel.
Can Icelandic Mountain Guides accommodate dietary requirements due to allergy or religious reasons?
- The hotel provides both breakfast and dinner and can accommodate such requirements.
- Please let us know beforehand about such requirements.
Is it possible to leave extra luggage somewhere back in Reykjavík while on the trip?
- If you are staying at the same hotel / guesthouse before and after the trek then you can leave your extra luggage there for no extra charge.
- The BSI Bus terminal can also store your bags for around 500 ISK pr. bag pr. day.
What is the accommodation like on the tour?
- Accommodation is in a comfortoble country hotel
What will we have to carry on the daily hikes?
- Only a day backpack with some extra clothes, food for the day and water.