Landmannalaugar Adventure and Golden Circle
Tour Code: ILR20
Explore a winter wonderland in the south highlands of Iceland.
Super Jeep guide, accommodation, sleeping bags, sleeping bag linen and full board
Available during weekends throughout the winter
2 days, 1 night
Participants are picked up at their accommodation between 8:30 - 9:00 AM
4 - 12 participants. - For smaller groups please contact us.
For this tour to be confirmed, the minimum number of passengers has to be met. If the tour is not confirmed you will get a full refund.
Highlights of the tour
- Winter Highland Driving
- Northern Lights and Geothermal Bathing
- Authentic Mountain Hut Experience
Icelandic Style Winter Break
The weather in Iceland can be unpredictable but the winter time sets the scene for amazing adventures if you have the right equipment. On this 2-day getaway, our experienced driver guides and the modified 4x4 Super Jeeps vehicles can take you off the beaten path and into the ruggedly beautiful South Highlands of Iceland. This route takes you past snow covered volcanoes, mountains, hills and craters into the steamy geothermal area of Landmannalaugar. You´ll marvel at the beauty of the Northern Lights * dancing across the starry sky while soaking in a natural hot spring and see breathtaking half-frozen waterfalls. This will certainly be a winter weekend adventure to remember.
*The Northern Lights are a natural phenomenon and there is no guarantee that they will appear.
Minimum age: 14 years
- Super Jeep guide
- Full board
- Accommodation in an Mountain Hut
- Sleeping bags
- Sleeping bags linen
- Warm clothes
- Rain gear (can be rented)
- Hiking boots (can be rented)
- Swim suit
Day 1: Reykjavík - Hekla - Landmannalaugar
Your highlands adventure begins when we pick you up at your hotel in Reykjavík around 9:00. From Reykjavík, we pass over the mountain range of Hellisheiði and traverse the wide plains of southern Iceland. At the foot of the Mt.Hekla volcano (last eruption 2000), we climb the road up to the Sigalda hills. Traversing mysterious lava fields, craters in their white winter coat, and vast snowfields, we finally arrive in Landmannalaugar. In the afternoon we put on our snowshoes, if needed, and go for a hike in this rough and breathtakingly beautiful region. At the end of a perfect day outdoors, you can enjoy a warm bath in the hot springs river or assist the guide preparing a delicious barbecue dinner.
Driving: 4-6 hrs total Walking: 2-3 hrs total
Day 2: Landmannalaugar - Golden Circle - Reykjavík
Day two of our highlands tour begins with breakfast in the early morning allowing our senses to absorb the surrounding beauty and tranquility. We take a last look at the colorful hot springs before starting the journey back across the mountain plateau in the direction of the main road. Weather conditions permitting, we pass by the waterfall Gullfoss and the hot springs of Geysir on our return to Reykjavík.
Driving: 5-6 hrs total Walking: 2-3 hrs total
This schedule may change due to weather and conditions.
Boots and Clothing:
- Hiking boots – light hiking boots with waterproofing and ankle support are preferred.
- Long and short sleeve thermal underwear – Wool or synthetic.
- Rain Jacket with a good hood– Preferably waterproof and breathable material.
- Hiking pants.
- Rain trousers – Waterproof and breathable material.
- Gloves – Wool or synthetic.
- Socks – two to three pairs of hiking socks - Wool or synthetic.
- Warm hat – Wool or synthetic.
- Backpack for clothes and items used during the day. Size: 20-30 litres.
- Duffel bag for your overnight gear, preferably not a suit-case.
- Towel – A light weight and packable one.
- Sunglasses and sun protection.
- Water bottle.
- Casual clothes / change of clothes.
- Prescription medication and other personal health items.
- Toiletries; Toothbrush, toothpaste, soap etc.
- Headlamp for reading and getting around the hut.
- Walking pole(s).
- Pen knife.
- Sun/rain Hat or a Cap.
- Thermal mat (for lunch breaks).
- Camera, spare batteries and a memory card or films.
- Puffy jacket to through on during stops (e.g. Primaloft or down)
- Slippers for indoor use.
- Aperitif or other heart-warming spirits.
Should you have any questions regarding this equipment list or the equipment on our tours feel free to contact firstname.lastname@example.org.